Web & Application Professionals Meetup – April
The Long Beach Web & App dev Professionals (WAPRO) group meets monthly to showcase our cool tech projects, share best practices, network with each other, help newcomers, and the values of open source software (F/OSS). We strive to do this in a professional, relaxed, respectful, and open venue for all people in our community. Our meetup is FREE and everyone is welcome. Website: http://www.waprolb.org
TALKS THIS MONTH
- Ashok Modi - ANSIBLE: BRINGING SANITY TO CONFIGURATION MANAGEMENT
- Jake Schmitz - DON’T DRINK THE KOOL AID, DRINK THE ELIXIR
- Roger Howard - ON BEING A PYTHONISTA AND DJANGONAUT
- Tom Friedhof - NODEJS + JEKYLL + HEROKU
- Setup and Introductions (20min)
- Community News and Job Announcements (10min)
- Presentations - details below (90min)
- Networking and post-meetup venue dubya (20min)
VENUE & MEETUP INFO
- DATE: Thursday Apr 16, 2015
- TIME: 7-9p
- LOCATION: Gunn Jerkens Marketing Communications, 3950 Cover Street Long Beach, CA 90808
- MAP LINK: Map
- Directions from 405 FWY at Lakewood: Directions
- Instructions: Gunn-Jerkins building is on the South-East corner of Cover + Schaufele. Enter driveway on Shaufele (just South of Cover), then first building on left at the SE corner of the building. If you have any trouble finding the office, please call: 562-499-6707.
- Please RSVP Note: We alternate meetup locations monthly.
Long Beach Web & Application Professionals #WAPRO
Our goal, in essence, is to share and learn about the technology that ignites our imagination, builds our skill-set, expands our network, and grows community! If you have interest or work in Web or Application Development, add our meetup to your calendar now and join us!
We have a preference for open-source software, especially server-side. This year we have meetups focused on the life-cycle and technologies related to website and application development. We will especially try to delve into situations where mobile and web technologies converge. The meeting topics we cover will vary monthly and will be tailored to, and by, our community. Visit our website for more information and learn how to get invovled! http://www.waprolb.org
ANSIBLE: Bringing sanity to configuration management
DEVOPs enthusiast and all-around generalist, Ashok Modi will be sharing about how he uses Ansible for easy safe deployments and maintenance of servers.
Ashok Modi @btmash
Currently a Computer Systems Analyst for the Cherry Hill Company. His primary duties involve working on the web presence of Libraries, EDUs, and other non-profits and intimately working with various technologies to bring their goals to fruition. Outside Cherry Hill, he dedicates some of his time in working on a freelance basis and, whenever possible, contributing back what he learns and/or creates back to the open source community.
DON’T DRINK THE KOOL AID, DRINK THE ELIXIR
This presentation will cover how to think in a functional programming style. A brief overview of elixirs history (inception etc.). Some code examples. Q&A
JAKE SCHMITZ @schmittyjd
Jake Schmitz is a Computer Science Major at CSULB and very involved with on-campus computer organizations such as leading SIGWEB. Additionally, he’s just a young developer who loves the web and open source software. He also really loves spending time programming, climbing, surfing, and skateboarding.
ON BEING A PYTHONISTA AND DJANGONAUT
Python has never quite been the hot language du jour, but it has a large and loyal following both on and of the web. It’s equally at home as a systems scripting tool, advanced maths environment, and Web application language. The language syntax and design philosophy favors simplicity and idiomatic style. As briefly as possible I’ll take you on a tour of the Python ecosystem, particularly as it relates to Web application development.
Roger Howard @rogerhoward
Long Beach Local, Roger Howard, has spent over 15 years in large organizations such as Playboy, Fox, The Getty, and Blizzard Entertainment providing technology leadership, hands on engineering, and process innovation.
My specialties generally center around the design and delivery of large collections of data and digital media in museums, photo agencies, video game studios, and other high-volume media environments.
These days I work independently as a programmer, consultant, and occasional technical writer.
Tom will show how to build an app in NODEJS that can be deployed on Heroku and used in a Jekyll website.
TOM FRIEDHOF @tomfriedhof
Tom Friedhof is the founder of ActiveLAMP, a SoCal based web shop that specializes in Drupal, Symfony, NodeJS, Ansible, Jekyll, and Chef to deploy. https://www.drupal.org/user/62769. ActiveLAMP clients include the likes of Riot Games, Xprize, AARP, CesarsWay, UCLA, and more!
Cirivello Sport Stop, directions: https://goo.gl/maps/YTawg
4115 North Viking Way, Long Beach, CA 90808
- Gunn-Jerkins is a full service Creative Marketing & Communications firm based in Long Beach. Gunn-Jerkins is providing the awesome venue for the meetup near Long Beach Airport.
- Media Done Right is a boutique web shop based in Long Beach, CA. We helped build www.spacex.com, www.amp.me, www.reddoorlivinglb.com, and more! We will provide beverages for the meetup.